The GCoM Southeast Asia Secretariat encourages and facilitates GCoM signatories in the region to apply for Project Preparation Facilities (PPFs) that provide technical assistance managed by GCoM partners: Transformative Action Program (TAP) managed by ICLEI and City Climate Finance Gap Fund (Gap Fund) by World Bank.
Support from the Secretariat
- Introduce TAP & Gap Fund to the GCoM members: inviting WB & ICLEI to online/offline discussions & meetings;
- Facilitate the preparation of the application form (Expression of Interest or EoI) to be submitted online: cities have full ownership of the EoI;
- Facilitate the improvement of form/EoI based on the review and assessment from the TAP & Gap Fund committee: identifying what can be improved;
- Engage with local governments to obtain national funding opportunities.
Facilitating Cities to Apply to TAP
- Tam Ky, Vietnam (application progress: 90%)
Project: Energy efficiency and sustainability in public and private buildings.
Support: Creation of partnerships; Development of the business case; Highlighting project to private investors; Investment finance
- Can Tho, Vietnam (application progress: 90%)
Project: Low-carbon and climate-resilient agroindustry urban supply chains in Can Tho.
Support: Creation of partnerships, Development of the business case, Technical assistance to support project definition
- Malang, Indonesia (submitted 30 August 2022)
Project: Waste management combined with a circular economy.
Support: Development of business case; Project structuring; Technical assistance to support project definition
Successful Facilitation on Gap Fund: Palembang, Indonesia
“On 23 September 2021, Palembang City, Musi Rawas Regency & Lubuklinggau City were approved to get technical assistance from the Gap Fund: Prepare a cost-benefit analysis, strategy, and action plan for green, resilient construction and energy-efficient affordable housing in the three cities. The project would help inform the national government’s One Million Housing program.”
Palembang was the IUC Asia pilot city that was facilitated by the GCoM project to submit EoI to the Gap Fund.